In January it will be one year of when Kayden had his heart surgery down at Primary Children's. I remember a couple of hours before he was scheduled to go in to surgery, the surgeon was going over all the risks of this surgery and that we would be updated every hour of how the procedure was going. As Kayden was wheeled off I didn't know where to turn, my baby was being wheeled into a room where I couldn't see him, help him, or even know if he would be back with us again on this earth. As Dave and I walked down the long hallway alone we just held on to each other and cried.
We sat in a room and waited and waited and waited (something you do a lot in the PICU). There was no way we were leaving the room to get or do anything. Luckily some friends of ours, the Bitter's, gave us a basket of some things we might have needed as we stayed in the hospital. It was so helpful as it had so many things in it to help us not have to leave the hospital. Dave and I knew at that point we wanted to do something in one year as a reminder to always PAY IT FORWARD and give to others as we were helped numerous times in Primary Children's from so many family and friends.Many people end up in PCMC with no warning, no time to grab things they need, they just go. Recently this happened to my friend Ashley Sullenger as she lost her little girl Preslee. (http://patrickandashley.blogspot.com/) With Preslee's birthday coming up in December she wanted to do something to give back on her birthday, Pay It Forward. We decided to combine our thoughts and create Preslee's Present.
I've been in contact with PCMC and they have 42 beds in the PICU. Our goal is to have a basket full of "the essentials for living in the PICU" for every single one of them. I think we can do it, but we'll need some help. As of right now were waiting to hear back from PCMC, with what items are allowed to be placed in the baskets. Once we find out we'll let you know a list of things. We'll need help with donations, items like granola bars, chap stick, or fleece blankets. We'll also need help putting them together.
So I now ask you, have you ever been helped while in need, or touched by someone? If you have, Pay It Forward. Think how different the world would be if everyone served just one person. Be part of something and serve to give. Hopefully we'll see many of you on that day making a difference.
Love, The Beckstrand's and Sullenger's





14 comments:
I love this idea, I think you and Ash have found an awesome way to pay if forward. Dustin and I look forward to being a part of it all!
See you Saturday!!!
Count us in. You just let me know what we can do and you can consider it done. :)
this is the perfect thing we can do as a family and that the kids can somewhat understand. they don't reallly understand medical bills, but being able to put together a package of things will be a great fhe...we're in!
we are in!!! Let me know if I can do anything else along with making cookies. My kids want to help. We love you guys. MIchelle
Craziness. All the support is awesome! So my brother is setting up a paypal account. My dad found a cool site with a ton of bags. For cheap you can put a logo on them... Check them out and tell me what you think, I was thinking I CAN DO HARD THINGS? 4allpromos.com
i LOVE the idea...thanks for letting so many be a part of PAY IT FORWARD! let me know what I can do...i'd love to help put them together! love you all! katieq
We would love to help from down here. Let us know.
The Bitters? Who? TJ's related to a ton of Bitters! Let me know if you need anything!
we would love to help in whatever way we can. let us know. love you guys!
we would love to help in whatever way we can. let us know. love you guys!
Let me know how I can help and when! I would like to help.
This is such a BIG and wonderful thing you are doing. Even though we are so very far away, what can we do? Please tell us!!!!!! I want to pay it forward because maybe I never have needed a basketin a hospital, but my little sister did when her sweet Kayden was going through surgery and I am so thankful for the family who thought of you!!!!
You guys are awesome for putting something like this together! You may want to check out this "coupon" blog for help in getting some of those items...she posts deals for Target, Walmart, Walgreens, CVS and other places. A lot of the time, you are able to get certain items for free, including chap stick, granola bars, deodorant among other things. Hope you are able to get everything you need to complete those 42 baskets!!! )The blog is hip2save.com )
Hey,
Our little Peanut was in the NICU at Primary Children's three years ago this January. We will be in Rexburg over Thanksgiving and I would LOVE to help in any way I can. please let me know where the need is either with donations or putting packages together. Please let me know! You can call me or email. 970-237-0402
Post a Comment