Friday, September 4, 2009

An unknown condition

So i asked a handful of people if they have ever heard of this and almost every single one of them haven't however I have this condition called VCI which stands for velamentous cord insertion. There is a 1.1 percent chance for single baby pregnancies to get this so you pregnant mommies out there do not fret!

I'm forbidden (by my family) to go online and check this condition out which is so hard because I like my sister am a knowledge nazi and love to look things up. But thanks to my doctor, Dave, and my sister Jessica they looked it up for me and explained. In basic terms the cord is supposed to attach to the mass of the placenta but what happened to me is it attached through the little blood vessels and little membranes (I like to call them little Ursala's because it's like it's attached to the legs of Ursala from little mermaid, not the the fat Ursala herself... see so much easier to understand!)



So what this means is nutrients HAVE to get to the little guy if not it leads to defects AND if those membranes rupture the little guy is gone. BUT no worries, precautions are being taken and I'm seeing a specialist and I'll be getting a C-sec most likely about 3 weeks before my due date (Jan 29.) so nothing ruptures.

Dave and I are very hopeful because I have some amazing doctors who are helping and most of all have a Man upstairs watching out for us. Our little boy so far is doing GREAT and is looking pretty healthy for how small Dave and I are.

I'll post some pictures of my belly later on this weekend : )

7 comments:

Kirsten said...

Yea never heard of that!

Kent and Krista Stevenson said...

I have heard of that actually. I also have heard that having a c-section is the best way to prevent any problems with it so that is good that you are probably going to get one. (Then you get to see the baby sooner anyways!) Are you still seeing doctor Meredith?

Jess and Tom Roberts said...

good luck and hope you and baby stay healthy. and are you seeing meredith? i loved him as my doctor!

Chelsea Nicole said...

Yep He's my doctor : ) He's awesome

Aaron & Michelle said...

I love your explanation. It is actually easier to understand. Ha!!!

Joy Bells said...

You are all three in my thoughts and prayers each day. Modern medicine is such a blessing. Take care of yourself Chels...actually with a husband like Dave how can you do otherwise. Love you three!!

James and Laura Neibaur said...

You guys sound really hopeful! It's nice to have the guy upstairs looking out for you. Our first baby had a rare birth defect and it was amazing to see what they were able to do for him--there was a lot of speculation that things would turn out for the worst but he's a big healthy two year old now and wild as ever with no problems of note.