Saturday, February 6, 2010

Miracle Blog...

I never thought that I would be a blog slacker if I didn't have a post up each day (or multiple times each day, that is) until now. Seriously, what guy blogs anyway, right? My excuse for no posts.... our computer being broken. The screen goes in and out, and I couldn't get it to work. In the past, I would just shake it, and it would work. Well.. looks like there is such a thing of shaking computer syndrome.

Kayden continues to improve, but has had some hiccups along the way. He was eating very well, but then threw most of it up a few days ago. We noticed that his stomach seemed to ache after he was given formula in his brestmilk. He would breastfeed, and then eat a little bit from a bottle after. We also concluded that he was probably very tired from trying to suck so hard, that he was burning more calories than he was consuming (good way to lose weight if you wanted to know). He has lost weight every day since he left the PICU, so the nurses still wanted him to have some kind of formula. Chelsea felt strongly (I love a mother's instinct) that the type of formula he was getting was too hard on his stomach. We asked if they could change the formula, and now he is on a sensitive-type. Ever since, he has been doing much better today, and continues to eat quite a bit.

This morning, they wanted to try weaning him from the oxygen again since we were staying another day than they had planned. They had tried a few days ago, and his oxygen levels dropped fast, so they kept him on. He was on such a small amount, that we were hoping he would be able to leave the hospital without it. To make a long story short, they took him off at 10:00 a.m. this morning, and he has been doing great ever since. We know we have just witnessed another miralce. His oxygen saturation had been at about 94% with oxygen support. When we walked into the room this morning, he was at 99-100% without any! We continue to be so blessed...

So, they now believe we will be discharged from the hosptial tomorrow. We will see what happens there. We will try and post pictures when I can get on a computer that allows me to.

5 comments:

Tiffany said...

yay for his discharge looking like it's going to happen tomorrow! there is a light at the end of this tunnel! so glad he's improving and that they changed his formula. that's awesome. keep us updated!

Stephen said...

CONGRATS you guys on a road long traveled. Keep up the faith. Are you nervous to go home at all...are they gonna maybe keep him one more day just to be sure? I love you. Keep up the posts. Love Jana

Mama Jones said...

Not mom but mackenzie
i am so happy for u i luv kayden

Ashley Sullenger said...

Congrats! Oh this is is such great news!!! I know it will be awhile, but please let me know when you will be comfortable with visitors! I can hardly wait to see him.. and you two :) We're so happy for you guys!

Joy Bells said...

Look forward to seeing you really soon. I believe there are angels among us, sent down to us from somewhere up above.... (those are words to a song) and I know that miracles exist, in the form of Kayden Christian Beckstrand to name one. Dad and I will be fasting for our Super Hero tomorrow. Love you all so much!